Summer is here! And you know what that means, tons of fresh fruit and vegetables are in season. And we don’t know about you guys, but here at Rock Creek Sports Club, one our favorite summer-time treats is definitely watermelon.
Why? Well, not only is it delicious, but it’s packed with so many amazing nutritional benefits, you’ll want to pick one up on your way home from work after reading this list.
Vitamins Galore! Watermelons are a great source of:
- Vitamin A: Helps maintain eye health and boosts immunity
- Vitamin C: Strengthens immunity, prevents cell damage, and promotes healthy teeth and gums.
- Vitamin B6: Helps Brain function, helps convert protein to energy, and helps the immune system produce antibodies.
The highest concentrations of lycopene of any fresh fruit or vegetable. Lycopene is an antioxidant that helps fight heart disease and several other types of cancer. Plus, some scientists also believe its important for bone health too.
Excellent Source of Potassium which:
- Helps muscle and nerve function
- Helps maintain the body’s proper electrolyte and acid base balanceHelps lower the risk of high blood pressure.
- Plus it’s great for fighting off muscle cramps (also known as Charlie Horses!)
Helps cool your body down. Watermelon is 92% water and anything that contains a lot of water is very easy to digest and goes through the digestive system very quickly, giving you a cooling sensation.
How to Pick Out Good Watermelon. Tips from the National Watermelon Promotion Board:
- Look the watermelon over. You are looking for a firm, symmetrical watermelon that is free from bruises, cuts or dents.
- Lift it up. The watermelon should be heavy for it’s size. Watermelon is 92% water, most of the weight is water.
- Turn it over. The underside of the watermelon should have a creamy yellow spot from where it sat on the ground and ripened in the sun