It’s June and we’re excited! Why? Because of all the fresh fruits and vegetables of course! One of our favorites this time of year is the amazing mango.
According to the National Mango Board, Mangos contain over 20 different vitamins and minerals, and one cup includes:
100% of your Daily Vitamin C
- Vitamin C supports healthy cognitive and neurologic function.
- Vitamin C is required for collagen formation.
- Vitamin C plays an important role in immune function.
Vitamin C is important for wound healing.
Vitamin C keeps gums and teeth healthy
35% of your Daily Vitamin A
- Vitamin A is critical for vision.
- Vitamin A is important for immune function.
- Vitamin A may be important for reproductive health.
- Vitamin A helps maintain healthy skin.
- Vitamin A plays a role in bone growth.
12% of your Daily Fiber
- Fiber makes you feel full faster and therefore may help support weight management.
- Fiber aids digestion.
- Fiber helps control constipation.
- Fiber slows the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream.
Now that we know you’re probably going to pick some up on your way home – here’s a few tips from Mango.org, on how to make sure you’re choosing the right ones. Hint: it’s about the “feel.”
- Squeeze the mango gently. A ripe mango will give slightly.
- Use your experience with produce such as peaches or avocados, which also become softer as they ripen.
- Ripe mangos will sometimes have a fruity aroma at their stem ends.
- The red color that appears on some varieties is not an indicator of ripeness. Always judge by feel.
AND don’t worry – cutting a mango, can be very messy, but it doesn’t have to be, just check out this video and then enjoy!